Pharmaceutical Cream and Ointment Making by Ginhong Mixer
There are a lot of medicines that are packaged as cream or as ointments for skin application. Pimples, dry or rough skin conditions, skin asthmas or irritation, rashes, stings, and fungal infections are far better cured with these pharmaceutical creams and ointments as prescribed by the doctor or dermatologists. Antibiotics and corticosteroids creams are examples of topical medications which are essential in dealing with infectious diseases.
Pharmaceutical creams and ointments are semi-solid emulsions of oil and water. Like many other medical products, these are critically and delicately formulated for human use and manufactured with utmost cleanliness and precision complying with health and safety regulations. A simple miscalculation in its formulation or negligence in manufacturing can lead to users’ sickness or even death.
Formulations are done by chemists and scientists in the R&D department of a company, while manufacture of these ointments and creams are done in pharmaceutical factories and manufacturing plants. In manufacturing, the most critical process is during the mixing of pharmaceutical ingredients.
Mixing emulsions not only gives the cream and ointment its desired physical properties, but also its where ingredients chemically react with each other at the right pressure, temperature and viscosity, producing a homogenized, emulsified and evenly distributed vitamins and minerals in the mixture, ready to cure infections and diseases after post-processing.
Pharmaceutical cream and ointments can be in the form of water-in-oil emulsion or oil-in-water emulsion. Its ingredients are composed of waxes, emollients and lubricants dispersed in an oil phase and a water phase containing emulsifying, stabilizing and thickening agents, preservatives and optionally, colorants. Active ingredients are also added in either phase.
The process of cream or ointment-making can be summarized generally as follows:
- Oil Phase Preparation – Powdered ingredients are dispersed into oil or silicone oil. Ingredients may be melted through heating.
- Heating can either be in the form of jacket heating or coiled-pipe heating. Sometimes heating can be minimized when the powdered ingredients are pre-blended through dry blending before mixing it with the oil phase. This saves energy and reduce cost.
- Emulsifiers, thickeners and stabilizers are dispersed into the water in a separate vessel. Again, to accelerate hydration, heating of ingredients may be incorporated in the process.
- Emulsion is formed when the two phases are vigorously blended together.
- The active ingredient, which only forms a small portion of the formulation, is dispersed in the mixture.
The Problem with Conventional Pharmaceutical Cream and Ointment Agitators
- Presence of undissolved substances or agglomerates and impurities due to lack of mixing power.
- Lumping of some ingredients in the oil.
- Unwanted voids may be created within the slurry.
- Strained or filtered agglomerates reduces yield output, increased wastes, added maintenance and cost.
- Longer mixing time due to difficulty in hydrating the thickeners.
- Active ingredients can be temperature sensitive. Cooling of the product before adding the active ingredient further increases processing time.
A Ginhong Cream manufacturing machine can solve the common problems of conventional mixers through the following methods:
- Weighing of the ingredients is done into the vessel prior to being heated. The mixer is started when the product is partially liquified. The high-speed rotation of the rotor creates a powerful suction, drawing the powdered particles and other ingredients into the workhead.
- An electric motor drives the shaft inside the mixing tank. This shaft is coupled with an impeller which it is rotated at a high-speed, driving oils and flake materials with strong centrifugal force within it. The components are introduced in the mixing tank at variable speeds. The mixer incorporates a high fluid shear inside the tank to emulsify or homogenize the material.
- The intake and expulsion of materials through the workhead ensures that the contents of the vessel passes many times through the workhead. The combination of heat, vigorous mixing and particle size reduction accelerates the melting process of the ingredients, and rapidly disperses the powder grinds into the oil to produce a homogeneous end product.
- In this way, the cream mixer rapidly disperses solids into liquids, hydrate the thickening and stabilizing agents, break down the remaining agglomerates, and finely reduce particle and globule size forming stable emulsions and suspensions.
The Advantages of Ginhong Cream Manufacturing Equipment
Consistent ointment quality and repeatability
- Offers batch-to-batch product consistency and stability with high manufacturing savings.
Yield of Ingredients in Maximized
- Thickening agents are fully hydrated and active ingredients fully dispersed.
Enhanced Mixer Capabilities
- High viscosity and greasy pharmaceutical cream or ointment can be processed easily, without necessarily needing additional pumps or auxiliary equipment.
- Easily adapted to variations in product type and formulation.
Fast Inherent Reaction Rates
- The aqueous phase can be produced at ambient temperatures, reducing heating costs. This also accelerates cooling of the mixture, further reducing process time and costs
- Agglomerates can be easily dissolved.
- Ginhong Deodorant Mixer is capable of attaining uniform and homogeneous emulsion, with good physical and chemical properties.
Less Air Entrainment
- The overall mixing system forms a close loop, meaning it prevents unwanted air from entering into the system. With less to no air entering the system, cavitation or formation of bubbles in a liquid, which causes blade damage, is prevented.
Reduced Waste and Sanitary
- The scraper gathers material wastes which can be collected without process interruption.
Recommended Ginhong Mixers
High shear and high speed mixing guarantees deagglomerating the mix before the powders and thickeners are added and refining of finished product prior to packing.
Ginhong High Shear Mixers:
Performs mixing under vacuum which greatly eliminates the unwanted effects of aeration.
Recommendable Vacuum Emulsifier Homogenizers: