Deodorant and Antiperspirant Manufacture By Ginhong Mixer
Human sweat does not actually smell. In fact, what makes the sweat give off a bad odor is the bacteria that ferments in it. Bacteria loves thriving in hot, humid environments. Thus, a deodorant is used as it has an antibacterial effect that kills some of the bacteria to prevent them from multiplying and it eliminates body odor.
Biocides contained in deodorant ingredients are responsible for killing skin bacteria to stop body odor and fragrance masks the odor.
An antiperspirant, on the other hand, reduces the amount of available water on the skin with astringents, most commonly aluminum salts.
Important Ingredients to Consider in Manufacturing Deodorants and Antiperspirants
A deodorant and an antiperspirant is generally an emulsion of water in oil or water in silicone. It further contains active ingredients such as biocides or aluminum salts, emulsifiers, gelling, suspending or thickening agents, waxes, emollients, preservatives, colorants and fragrance.
- The raw materials are charged in a jacketed stainless steel kettle.
- The oil phase, which is combined first, is composed of solvents such as the alcohol, propylene glycol, and glycerine and silicones such as dimethicone.
- Next, the flaky or powdery ingredients such as the cetyl alcohol is fed into the preliminary oil phase.
- The active ingredient is dispersed into this phase.
- Steam heat is applied to melt the ingredients while the batch is being mixed.
- During the blending process, the temperature must be carefully controlled to avoid burning the viscous waxy ingredients.
- Bentonite (suspending ingredient) is added.
- Gelling agents or polymers are added to stick products to form structure.
- Fragrance and coloring are added.
- The product is ready to be cooled and poured into moulds to form deodorant sticks.
The Problem with Conventional Deodorant or Antiperspirant Mixers
- Agglomerate-formation is frequent due to waxy ingredients.
- Intense shearing is required to develop desired properties.
- Material build-up can surround the vessel walls.
- When temperature is not regulated properly, some gels may be prone to degradation.
- Difficulty in producing the proper emulsion due to poor agitator action, especially when using conventional agitators.
- Solvents are first introduced into the mixer. Upon starting the mixer the solid/powdered ingredients are added. The mixer induces powerful shear between the ingredients as they move around at various speeds.
- In effect, they create multiple points of deformation within their contact areas. A powerful suction is created by the high-speed rotation of the rotor which will draw the ingredients into the workhead where they will be thoroughly mixed.
- The process continues until the mixture is deagglomerated.
- Once the powdered ingredients have been fully dispersed in the continuous liquid phase, the dispersed phase is added.
- The high shear mixing action of the workhead forms a uniform and stable emulsion.
Advantages of Using Ginhong Mixers
Yield of Ingredients in Maximized
- Thickening agents are fully hydrated and active ingredients fully dispersed
- Fast and convenient of mixing, emulsifying and homogenizing components as compared to the length of time it takes to get the job done by other conventional mixers.
Fast Inherent Reaction Rates
- Intense and enhanced chemical reaction with high degree of concentrated input energy that produce superior dispersion than traditional mixing methods.
Efficient dispersion highly enhances color strength.
- Ginhong Deodorant Mixer is capable of attaining uniform and homogeneous emulsion, with good physical and chemical properties.
Increased Energy Savings
- Heating may not be required In many cases heating is not required, reducing costs and risk of degradation of heat sensitive ingredients.
- The overall mixing system forms a close loop, meaning it prevents unwanted air from entering into the system. With less to no air entering the system, cavitation or formation of bubbles in a liquid, which causes blade damage, is prevented.
Reduced Waste and Sanitary
- The mixer is equipped with a Scraper made of a Teflon or a non-stick coating. This material is easy to clean, hard to be dissolved in all solvents and can withstand high temperatures. The Scraper gathers material wastes which can be collected without process interruption.
Recommended Mixing Equipment
Ginhong’s High Shear Mixer is the most suitable mixing equipment for this application as it provides high energy in mixing that homogenizes, solubilizes, suspends, disperses and disintegrates ingredients
High Shear Batch Mixer
This type of mixer processes materials way faster than the Inline High Shear Mixer type, approximately twice its speed. As such, the Batch High-Shear Mixer can be used with large or bulk volumes of processing materials and where space limitation is not much of a concern.
An Inline Shear Mixer runs in a continuous manner and is a more compact configuration than the Batch High Shear Mixer, it is more suitable and recommended for manufacturing plants with limited space.
Ginhong In-Line mixer can be modified with the use of rapidly interchangeable workheads