An Industrial Mixer & Blender Manufacturer.


» Articles

The definitions of homogenise, homogeniser and homogenisation

March 27, 2013

Homogenise is the British English equivalent of homogenize in US English. Both words are commonly used in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, food and chemicals industry.

Accordingly homogeniser/homogenisator and homogenisation are the British usage. The content below is almost the same as the article in “The definitions of homogenize, homogenizer and homogenization”. Anyway, if you speak British English, it may be more suitable for you to read.


If something is homogenised, it is changed so that all its parts are homogeneous, especially in a way that is undesirable.

Homogenise generally happens at the same time with disperse and emulsify when emulsions and suspensions are mixed, dispersed, emulsified and homogenised.

Homogenise has two functions as to reduce the products (generally cream and milk) to small droplets of even size. And the second function is to make these small droplets distribute uniformly in the liquids.


Homogeniser is homogenising machinery used to homogenise products as cream and ointment. In some European countries, homogeniser is sometimes called homogenisator.

Homogeniser is generally classified by centrifugal homogeniser, high pressure homogeniser, colloid mill, ultrasonic homogeniser and high shear homogeniser etc.

Centrifugal homogeniser, high pressure homogeniser and ultrasonic homogeniser have the following disadvantages of complicated structure, high cost, heavy power-consumption and inconvenient maintenance etc. Their applications are limited in some specific scopes.

High shear homogeniser becomes more popular nowadays in pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, chemicals and food industries. Its advantages include low cost, fine droplet size, high efficiency and high quality etc compared to traditional homogenisers mentioned above. In our product range it is high shear homogenizer.

High shear homogeniser

High shear homogeniser is sometimes called shear homogeniser or high shear mixer. It’s made of one rotor and one stator. Some high shear homogeniser also has housing for the rotor and stator for better homogenisation.

Batch homogeniser or called intermittent homogeniser is generally mounted inside the mixing tanks from top, bottom or side. It often works with stirrer and disperser for a batch process.

Inline homogeniser or called in-line homogeniser or homogeniser pump is often connected to the mixing tanks by circulating pipes. It’s most suitable for making big quantity continuous process.

When the homogeniser is equipped with the mixing tanks, we usually called it mixer homogeniser or homogenising mixer. But vacuum mixer homogeniser with vacuum system is more used in making emulsions.


Homogenisation is the act or process of making products homogeneous and even in consistency by batch or inline homogenisers.

You May Also Like